Monday, December 6, 2010

A learner for life

As this quarter comes to an end and I am moving slowly, checking my work for errors I discover how much I have learned. I love learning but at times it feels so exhausting. I can only imagine where I will be a year from now.
Technology is changing rapidly. I try to keep up learning about all the new things that are out there and find it hard to keep up. From blogs, to creating websites, and making digital stories it seems the list is never ending. Google keeps discovering new ways to give us more to learn. It seems that each week there is something new to be found whether it is through a new gadget or a new web sharing site. My mind is working harder than ever to learn all of these things.
But then I must learn about the mind and how it learns. How do students learn how to read; what strategies do they use; when is it time for them to move to the next level? As a teacher there as so many questions to be asked about students. Teachers are always learning new ways to best teach their students. It seems as if we find a way that works really well but then a student shows up and teaches us that one size does not fit all.
I can only imagine how young learners feel while sitting through hours a day of class and taking in so much information. At the end of each day I feel like I could collapse on to my bed and sleep for a week. Now I am realizing that I am learning just like these young minds that I have observing.
There have been times that I have asked myself if this is really what I want to do. But I am reminded often by the students that in the end it is worth it all. I love learning and I am always proud of myself when I come to a point where I start to feel as if I really get it. I love watching students as they teach me and as they learn from each other.
As this quarter comes near to an end, I sit here and reflect on how much I have learned about young literate minds and how technology appears to be shaping our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment